Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Steam YO BROC YO!

So one of the best and easiest ways to eat broccoli is to steam it. Broccoli is so good for you its kinda ridiculous, you just cant eat enough. I mean you CAN, but it would be hard. Check out this website, it has all sorts of wonderful info on broccoli and steaming: Healthy Broccoli Info!

 My super healthy boyfriend got me started on steaming and now Im hooked. Steaming broccoli is about the healthiest way you can eat it. Many dont know that the METHOD you cook your vegetables effect the nutrients you get from them. Its one of the reasons the raw food diet was started, though I would never advocate it. Go live with the bunnies if you want to eat like one. Though I learned when you boil broccoli, you lose a lot of nutrients in the water. Or if you saute it, you consume added fats from the butter/oil you use to cook it.

 If you dont like broccoli my advice is to just start eating it. I spent most of my life CONVINCED I hated the stuff, and after a few months of eating it regularly I find myself craving it. Of course not in the same way I crave goldfish, but Im getting more and more certain there is some sort of crack in those flavor blasted goldfish. I digress.

So to steam broccoli or most vegis, you do need a steamer. They are come in all sizes and colors(like people!), and I use mine all the time. A typical one looks like this:


Regardless of which one you have, they work about the same. Below are instructions on steaming Broccoli, though you can steam pretty much any vegetable you like.

Steamed Broccoli: Serves 2

2-3 cups Broccoli chopped

2-3 cups water

1. Fill a medium pot with around a 1/2 inch of water. Just enough to cover the bottom of the pot. Place on high heat and cook until boiling.

2. Place broccoli in steamer and place the steamer over the boiling water. Boil covered for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat when the broccoli is bright green, and a fork can be easily inserted. Serve hot.

If you are still having a tough time with the Broccoli taste, you can also saute it for a minute in some Braggs. This makes a great side dish to nearly anything. My boyfriend often has this and some brown rice for dinner, though I have not reformed THAT much from my junk food ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment