Well folks, finally I have cooked something besides toast this week! Sure its thursday and having healthy boyfriend back helps a lot with motivation. This is a very easy, healthy pie, and for mushroom lovers its a must. This probably goes without saying, but DO NOT make this pie if you dont like mushrooms. Its mushroomtastic! The cooking is fairly easy, but with prep it took me almost an hour and half. So if you can, cutting all your vegis ahead of time would be ideal. Its a fine meal on its own, but some mashed potatoes or nice bread would make a great side dish!
1/2 tbsp on unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup cheddar, shredded
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium onions, diced
1 cups broccoli, chopped
1 1/2 pounds(around 8 cups) fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
2 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Dash cayenne pepper, add more if you enjoy heat
2 tablespoons unbleashed flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch pie plate and sprinkle bread crumbs, covering the bottom and sides. This will be your simple crust.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, then saute the garlic, onions, and broccoli for 5 minutes.
3. Raise heat to high, stir in mushrooms, thyme, paprika, and cayenne. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until the juices have almost completely evaporated.
4. Sprinkle on the flout, stir to coat the mixture and cook 1 minute. Stir in the milk and salt and cook 1 more minute. Scrape into a large bowl and let cool until just warm. NEVER add eggs to a hot mixture, they will scramble and not in a good way :)
5. Stir in the beaten eggs into the mushroom mixure and spoon half of the mixture into into the pie plate, then sprinkle with half your cheese. Pour the rest of mixture in, and top with remaining cheese. Top with additional breadcrumbs if desired. Bake 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean when inserted in the sides of the pie or almost clean when inserted in center. Let pie cool for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.