Sunday, January 23, 2011

Deep Dish Apple Pie

APPLE PIE A LA ME!


Is this healthier than a box of oreos, YES MA'AM! But can you count this as heathy because it has fruit, I dont think so. In conjunction with eating healthier, I do allow myself one homemade dessert a week for several reasons. One if I try to stop eating sweets all together, I will crack like an egg and eat an entire bag of dark chocolate m&ms in one sitting. Two in learning about food there is a whole new world where cookies, cakes, and desserts are concerned, and they are fun to try as well, if just less often.

All that goes to say is everyone if different, if you have people to share a dessert with, they are great to make. Try not to make a pan full of brownies if its just you, because we all know what will happen. Empty pan, overly full person watching Buffy repeats and trying not to be sick from sugar overload. Its not just me right?

I had been craving apple pie for a while, and since my man was back in town I figured it would be a wonderful Saturday night treat.

Making apple pie from scratch is fairly easy, the crust is what is always a pain. I was a bad little new chef and used an organic pre-packaged crust because it was on sale, and I was lazy. Making your crust makes a big difference, and I was disappointed with the taste of my pre-made crust. Next time I will definitely take the extra time to make it myself. My crust also started to brown way before the pie was ready, so if that happens, just put aluminum foil over the top of the pie to prevent burning.

Based on the cooking goddess herself, Barefoot Contessa Family Style.

Deep Dish Apple Pie

Ingredients, makes one 10 inch pie. Serves 5-8.

4 pounds granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and quartered

Zest of 1 lemon

Zest of 1 medium orange

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice

1/2 cup sugar, plus a few pinches for the top

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 teaspoon kosher salt

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon allspice

2 ready made pie crusts, or homemade

1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water, aka your egg wash

Pint of Vanilla Ice Cream, optional

Preheat the oven too 400 degrees. 

1. Cut each apple quarter in thirds crosswise and combine in bowl with zests, juices, sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. 

2. Place first pie crust on pie plate. If the crust isn't big enough, ball its up and roll it out on a floured surface. Do not try to stretch the crust to fit. 

3. On top of first pie crust add the apple mixture. Brush the edge of the bottom crust with the egg wash so the top will adhere. Top with the second crust and trim the edges so there is only an inch over hang. Seal your top and bottom crust using a fork or your fingers. 

4. Brush the entire crust with egg wash and sprinkle with a few pinches of sugar. Cut four or five slits, or make a fun design like I did!

5. Place the pie on a sheet pan, and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until crust is browned and the juices begin to bubble. 

6. Serve warm, add a few scoops of ice cream if desired. (Hint, DESIRE IT, its SO GOOD!)

*NOTE: My crust browned way before my pie was ready, so be sure to check the time and that the juices are bubbling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment