Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Spinach and Strawberry Salad!

Spinach, and Strawberries in Salad OH MY!



This week in my lunch box is SALAD. I had to take a break from the leafy greens last week, but now that delicious, nutritious spinach is back. 
One thing I have learned over the years is how the way you prepare vegetables makes a HUGE difference in the taste. I mean DUH, but still I always thought I hated spinach because I had only had it cooked. When I finally had it raw, I was like, HEY this stuff is tasty! It was a very nice moment, wish you could have been there..... I really prefer spinach to lettuce and mixed greens, its also healthier, but any leafy green is going to be filled with good stuff. 
Spinach is great because its filled with Vitamin K, Iron, Antioxidants, and all sort of ridiculously wonderful things. This site has detailed info about it, including cancer fighting properties!Spinach for LIFE!
This week Im having a super simple salad so use this recipe, or use any vegis you have on hand. Usually I try to eat whats in season, but sometimes in January and February Florida has wonderful strawberries, and Ingles had them on sale for the last two weeks. I have eaten at least three cartons this last week, I cant stop! With salads, there really is no end to the variety. 
Spinach Salad with Strawberries: Serving for 1

2-3 big handfuls of baby spinach, enough to fill a good sized bowl
3-4 small to medium strawberries, sliced
2-3 tablespoons of walnuts or pecans chopped
1 carrot sliced
A few dashes of Annies Organic Vinaigrette(Dressing is often what makes your salad bad for you, be very conscious of what dressing you buy and WHAT is in them. Annies is expensive, but trustworthy)

Throw it in a bowl, grab a fork and feel like a healthy bunny! Salads can be filling enough, though often a piece of toast or english muffin will help insure you dont get afternoon munchies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment