Monday, October 10, 2011

Turnip the heat

Root Fries Anyone? 
Look at me making up recipes! Last week at the market I decided to buy some turnips as to force myself to find an easy recipe. I noticed turnips were one of the root vegetables that I had not played with in the kitchen. But if it's in season, Im doing my best to experiment. 
DA Turnip
Turnips aren't really winning any beauty food contests, they are boring looking. No offense turnips, but you know its true. I looked through many of my cookbooks and the recipes I found included roasted turnips, turnip mash, stuffed turnips, simple things like that. None of the recipes I read got me excited to make these white little root balls. So I began to search the web and found turnip fries. Well, I pretty much like anything that has FRY in the title, so I decided to give them a go. I've also been trying to play with Asian and Indian flavors lately, and this particular night I was making a Thai Curry (recipe coming soon). So instead of flavoring the turnips like a traditional fry, why not throw some cumin and coriander and see how it goes? I also happen to have this amazing fresh ginger (which I bought at the market a few weeks back) so grated a piece up and threw that in the mix. 
You will be fries someday! 
My cooking ego is about the size of a turnip (teeny tiny), but I was freakin proud of these little guys. Simply, healthy, and almost all the ingredients are items most basic kitchens will have. 

As far as what oil to use, I usually have at least 4-5 different types, but feel free to use vegetable oil, or any flavorless oil you have in the pantry. I enjoyed the depth of flavor the peanut oil brought, but no need to buy it just for this recipe. Same goes for ginger.

What's neat about this recipe is using Indian spices with a fairly American vegetable. Of course these spices would be delicious on regular or sweet potatoes, but mixing up your vegetables is always a good idea. Variety is the spice of life! 
These would be a great side to almost anything. They require little in the kitchen time, and I dare you to just eat one. 
Hope yall like these as much as I do. Healthy boyfriend has already requested more :)

Turnip Fries with Cumin, Coriander and Ginger

The Goods: serves 4-5 as side
3 pounds turnips, peeled
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (vegetable is fine)
1/4 tablespoon peanut oil (optional)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated

The Deal: 
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Chop turnips into fries, which will vary depending on the size of the turnip. I sliced my turnips in half, then turned the turnip half sideways and made a vertical cut. Keeping the top and bottom together, I then made 1/4 inch slices, see picture below.

2. In a bowl combine both oils, cumin, coriander and ginger. Place turnips in and with your hands toss to combine, being sure the spiced oil is evenly distributed to all the fries. 


3. Place on a large cookie sheet (use 2 if you need more room) being sure the turnips aren't overlapping. Bake for 20 minutes or so, flipping the fries at least once to ensure even browning. Remove when golden brown and crispy. Serve warm!   

No comments:

Post a Comment