Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Swiss Chard: 1, Lysandra: 0


Two Steps forward, three steps back right? That's what they say and that's how I feel after eating Chard. After eating vitamin E, C, K, iron, magnesium rich, cancer preventing Swiss Chard, I am sad to say I still don't like the taste of it. Cooked spinach is my nemesis, I HATE the way cooked spinach tastes. I love it fresh, or even cooked into a pie or quiche, but on it's own....UGH. Frustrating that I have conquered my aversion to so many other vegetables, yet cooked greens such as Chard, Kale, and Spinach, continue to repulse my taste buds. Frack.

Healthy boyfriend of course, Mr. I love everything that taste nutritious, adored this and commented on what an extremely healthy meal it was. Which is true and everything besides the flour for the gnocchi was from the local market; a great accomplishment in itself. I know I can grow to love this stuff, perhaps I have to take baby steps? I will trying baking it in a quiche soon, a little egg and milk to help it go down easier. Not the healthiest option, but perhaps it will help warm my taste buds up to the flavor.

My intention when making this was to pair the Sweet Potato Gnocchi, that has a nice cinnamon sweet taste with the garlic earthy chard, balancing out the flavors. Healthy boyfriend thought it worked great, while I mostly nibbled on gnocchi. I will try cooking broccoli this way soon, and I'm sure I'll be licking the bowl.

This recipe comes from Simple Vegetarian Pleasures. I wish I knew how Jeanne Lemlin is reading my future from the past, but every time I need a recipe, she is there. Her books are simple genius, go buy them. If you know you like Chard, this is a very simple and delicious way to make it. Im sure anyone with normal healthy taste buds is sure to enjoy it.

Swiss chard is another vegetable adding bright rainbow colors to farmers market tables right now, another reason to visit your local market!

Garlic Rainbow Chard
Purdy Colors
You can really use any dark green vegetable, kale, collards, broccoli would all be delicious. 


The Goods: 
1 pound Swiss Chard with stems
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound Sweet Potato Gnocchi or store bought
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced

The Deal: 
1. Chop the steams of the chard. Rinse stems under running water to get rid of any sand or dirt. Repeat with leaves. Chop steams into 1/2 inch pieces, and gather leaves into bunches and chop them into 1/2 wide strips.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat with rosemary. Heat until hot but not smoking. Add gnocchi and cook until browned, about 3 minutes on each side. If you prefer your gnocchi boiled, you know, do it that way.

3. In another large skillet heat 3 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat with the garlic and hot pepper flakes. Cook one minute then add the chard leaves and steams. Toss to throughly combine then cover pan. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the chard is just wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

4. Serve gnocchi and greens in one bowl and sprinkle parmesan on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment