Sunday, October 30, 2011

Criss Cross Apple Sauce

Yeah, I got sauce.

As I've mentioned, I'm on an apple binge. Who knows when the insanity will stop? I'm not sure yet, but I'll let you know. For now Applefest 11 continues in my kitchen, with no end in sight. The reason for making apple sauce was one of necessity. I had a whole crap ton (that's the scientific measurement) of apples that needed to get gone. I was in a lazy (read grumpy) mood so did not want to do anything to complicated or time consuming. I stumbled across this apple sauce recipe which looked simple and delicious; Sweet, the two things I was looking for.
Apples and Apples and Apples and Apples.
Now there are several different ways to make apple sauce, this is just one that looked appealing to me. I will as always try other recipes, given this one only lasts a few days in the fridge and I would prefer to find a recipe that lasts a few weeks. Other than that I loved the simple apple flavors and the chunky consistency. This is also an easy way to make a healthy dessert. You can also use apple sauce in recipes, I recently made a carrot cake (recipe coming soon) that uses apple sauce which was delicious. Anyway apples are freaking everywhere right now, so go get you some apples and sauce it up. 

Classic Apple Sauce
Adapted from Simply Recipes

Be sure to use good cooking apples such as Jona Gold, Mcintosh, Granny Smith, Fuji or Golden Delicious. The sugar measurements are just suggestions, use more or less depending on your preference. 
The Goods: 
3 to 4 pounds apples, peeled, cored and quartered
3 strips lemon peel-use a vegetable peeler to make strips
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 inches of cinnamon stick
1/4 cup brown sugar 
up to a 1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup of water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Serve with yogurt, ice cream, or a small drizzle of half and half. 

The Deal: 
1. Place all ingredients in a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until apples are very soft. 
Throw everything in a pot
Simmer the crap out of it. 
2. Remove from heat and discard lemon peels and cinnamon stick.  Mash with a potato masher. Serve warm or refrigerated. This will only keep in the refrigerator in an air tight container for a few days.

You can also freeze it for up to one year, just defrost before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment