Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sweet Potato Hash with Curry Spices


This post could also be called I was lazy and wanted sweet potatoes. Or how to not cook much but have something crunchy. Thursday night I had a familiar hankering for sweet potatoes but needed to try something new for blog posting purposes. I would probably roast root vegetables in greek dressing five nights a week if not for the need to come up with original recipes for my blog.
So I quickly searched a few of my favorite sites, looking for recipes that required no additional food purchases and minimal actual in the kitchen time. Two Blue Lemons to the rescue! (click on the name and transport yourself to a lovely site)

I tinkered with the original recipe a bit, adding cinnamon because I think sweet potatoes and cinnamon should get married and have babies. The original dish also called for poppy seeds, but I had sesame so thats what went in. I should have made it more breakfast themed, made a couple spicy scrambled eggs to lay on top, but as was came out pretty good. I had some spinach so I sliced it fancy-like and threw it on top for some iron and color. This recipe can be used in a lot of different ways, so I hope you will find your own way to make this simple hash your own.

I have a strange sensation this dish is missing a certain I don't know what yet. But I'm sure I will, at some point, figure it out.

This would also be great with breakfast; with an egg on top, avocado, sour cream, or salsa. These are versatile so use what spices you have. If you need to make brunch for a big group this is a quick way to make a large quantity of hash browns and leave you stove open for other cook to order type items.

Remember sweet potatoes are in season, so buy local! Sweet potatoes keep for a while and can be used in almost anything. Go get some from a farmer, that's a good day for everyone.

Sweet Potato Hash with Curry Spices
Green and orange food. It's Fall, get used to it. 


The Goods: Serves 3-4 as side dish
3-4 small sweet potatoes ( I used 1 big un, and 1 little un)
1 red onion
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup fresh spinach, chiffonade

The Deal: 
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grate (by hand or using a grater attachment on your food processor) the sweet potato and onion. Grating an onion sucks for your eyes, power through! Transfer the onion potato mixture to a sieve and squeeze with your hands to release as much moisture as you can.
I don't have a sieve so I used a strainer.

2. Dump in a bowl and add spices. Mix well with your hands to make sure everything its coated in yummy spices.
About to be hash...
3. Shake in an even layer on to a pre-greased cookie sheet and bake until bottom starts to brown. Scrape and toss once and continue to bake until new bottom is crispy. Total cooking time is about 25-35 minutes, depending on the the amount of moisture in your sweet tater mix.

4. Serve hot with spinach sprinkled on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment