Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tropical Smoothie with Spirulina

Never thought I would say this, but this week Im eating algae. Thats right, Spirulina, a microalgae, is all the rage with the healthy people. Its incredibly healthy and you can intake it a few different ways. I had it first in a smoothie, and thought it was fine. It takes a little getting used too, but Ive grown to really like it.

Its like wheat grass in the way that a small amount packs a nutrient rich punch. I learned about it because its suppose to work miracles for the immune system. It also has high levels of beta carotene, B-12, and iron. Some people use it in dieting, because a small amount is very filling, and can help suppress appetite. So if you are someone who is trying to lose a lot of weight, this is a great product!

I have found that when I have it in smoothies, Im more full then when I have a regular smoothie. This smoothie easily keeps me full until lunch.
Its hard to find accurate information on Spirulina because its not well researched.
 This site, SPIRULINA!, has lots of information, though I cant be sure how much is accurate.
Some of the claims are pretty out there, but there just hasnt been a ton of research on this stuff.
I will keep yall posted on how I feel, I have been sick a lot and so I can test if this is helping my immune system. It would be lovely if I wasn't sick for at least a week.

As far as the taste, the best I can describe it, is if you ever really chew up your spinach, it taste similar to that. But its definitely a unique taste, spirulina-ey. I love thats its so good for me, that helps with the appreciation of the taste. Now that said, I do like using pineapple in smoothies with Spirulina because the pineapple has such a strong flavor it covers up some of the Spirulina flavor. Not all, but it helps if you are new to the stuff. And again, healthy boyfriend loves the taste, and has from the beginning, so you may too!

To buy it, you probably have to go to a whole foods or order it online. I got mine in the bulk section of our local hippie grocery store. I would shop around in price, I found it anywhere from $25-$50 a pound. So its not cheap, but what is these days. Anyway online is probably the cheapest.

This is what is looks like, what a beautiful deep green:

This is better than the smoothie I posted last week. I did some tweaking and found you really dont need more than a cube of ice. Also if you use frozen banana, that can be used instead of ice. Now this smoothie is very healthy and good for you without spirulina, so if its too expensive or you dont like the taste you can omit it. I would really recommend giving it a try though, I really never thought I could like it, and I do.

Tropical Smoothie with Spirulina



The Goods(Ingredients): Serves 1
1 cube of ice
1/4-1/3 cup frozen pineapple
1/3 cup frozen mango
1/3 cup frozen peaches
Half of a banana(if frozen, omit ice)
1/3 cup Simply Nutritious Morning Blend
1 tablespoon Spirulina
Dash of Sea Salt
1-2 tablespoons yogurt(optional)

The Deal(Directions):
1. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more juice if the mix is not blending.

2. Dump what looks like green sludge in a cup, remember its super healthy for you, and bottoms up!

No comments:

Post a Comment