Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Best Tuna Salad

Ooooooooohhhhhh Tuna Salad! Sometimes a good tuna salad just hits the SPOT. I have found that I make a better tuna salad than anything Ive had at a restaurant. Besides my Mom's, her tuna salad is epic.

Note: Most things Ive read advise not eat more than one can of tuna a week. Tuna can carry mercury, and small levels in your system are ok, but high levels can lead to health problems. Especially for us ladies, because high levels of mercury can effect your ability to have babies. So after this week I will not eat tuna for a few weeks, I play it very safe. I like those babies!

I in general try to keep vegetarian, but do eat local/organic meat once a week. I do include fish in the meat category, so try to limit eating seafood to once or twice a month. I will blog more soon about vegetarianism in general, and why I choose to attempt to be one. I eat meat once a week, so Im a fake vegetarian, or a slutty vegetarian, or plain just not one. :)

I remind you below, but the MOST important thing about a good tuna salad is draining your tuna. We have all had gross, watery tuna salad, and wondered why. Well, its because you didnt drain your tuna. And draining does not mean squeezing out the juices with the lid, it means put it in a colander and let the water out. Trust me, this tiny step is everything.

Also watch out for relish. Sometimes its easier to just buy relish, but I couldn't find any relish at the super market without HFCS(High Fructose Corn Syrup). Cutting a pickle is only a little more work, and its better for you. If you find relish without HFCS, then go cray cray!

There are many optional ingredients in this recipe. They are all great additions and if you have them around, use them. But if you dont, I dont want you to think you have to buy 10 ingredients for a tuna salad, its suppose to be simple. So hope you enjoy!
Tuna Salad


The Goods(Ingredients):  Makes 2 cups

2 cans solid white tuna in water
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons red onion, minced(optional)
2-3 tablespoons dill or sweet pickles, minced
1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed(optional)
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard(optional)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, more to taste
1 Thin wheat bagel

The Deal(Directions):
1. Drain tuna in a colander and shred in fingers until no clumps remain. Draining the tuna first is essential. If you dont, you get watery gross tuna salad. While the tuna is draining, toast your bagel.

2. Transfer tuna to a medium bowl and mix in lemon juice, salt, pepper, onions, pickles, garlic, until blended. Fold in mayo until tuna is evenly moistened. I used a little less than half a cup, adjust mayo to personal preference.

3. Put that delicious mix in on your bagel slices and enjoy!

This can keep up to three days, air tight container is best.

This recipe is based a combination of my moms recipe and one from Cooks Illustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment