Sunday, May 22, 2011

Homemade Mayonnaise

a fat homemade masterpiece
I am SICK of store mayonnaise. The real stuff is full of chemicals, the lite mayo is full of even more chemicals and taste like dirty feet, and DONT even get me started on miracle whip. I would rather lick a foot than eat that stuff. Clearly I have a thing about feet and mayonnaise, not sure what thats all about.

This week I was having a serious craving for egg salad, the only problem being what mayo to use. Then I had a (ridiculously obvious) epiphany. I can make my own mayo! I literally had this thought in bed last night and got out of bed to grab my "America's Best Test Kitchen" cookbook to look up the recipe.
With a food processor, making your own mayo couldn't be more easy! It took 10 minutes tops, and thats will squeezing the lemons. Making it by hand can be tricker, there's more risk of it separating instead of emulsifying. Its possible, you just have to whisk like your life depends on it.
I urge you to try this, especially if you are making a dish where the mayonnaise is a key ingredient. I can't believe how delicious it is. My egg salad(recipe coming soon) was extra delicious, and I know the spicy mayo dip I make tonight is going to be fantastic.
So make your own mayo, you will feel so cool. Or at least I do.

Homemade Mayonnaise

The Goods: Makes 3/4 cup
2 egg yolks
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup corn or vegetable oil(any flavorless oil)
Salt and pepper

The Deal: 
1. Process the egg yolks, lemon juice and sugar in a food processor until combined, about 10 seconds. With the machine running, slowly pour the oil through a feed tube in a slow steady stream, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a ruber spatula and process 5 seconds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 
I added garlic, but just follow the recipe above
This can be refrigerated in an air tight container for up to 3 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment