Saturday, March 12, 2011

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I posted these a while ago with a meal, but wanted to post it again on thier own, because they are just so delicious and if you haven't eaten them, PLEASE go out and buy some. Also I have better pictures this time.

Brussels Sprouts got a bad name for some unknown reason. In fact there have been studies done in England and America where it was voted the most hated vegetable. To quote the wise Cher from Clueless, AS IF!
They are crispy yet tender, healthy for your body, and are cute as balls(toy ones, NOT real ones people).

They are full of vitamin A, C, and beta carotene. They are also part of the Brassica family(as is broccoli, kale and collard greens) which is a family you want at the table. The brassica family of vegetables are healthy greens that may prevent certain types of cancer, like colon cancer. Of course eating greens if good for you all around, and if they prevent cancer, double score!

Thank goodness I have healthy boyfriend to challenge all my preconceived notions of vegetables and force me to try new things. Until this year, I was positive I wanted nothing to do with bsprouts. I was so clueless..... So much of eating them is in the way they are cooked. I think I had only tried boiled sprouts, which I did not like, but roasting them is a whole new sprout. I should try cooking them another way, thats for next time!

They go with so many meals, and make a great side dish. Now, go eat some, GO ON GO!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts


The Goods: As a side dish serves 4-6
1 pound of brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons of olive oil
A few good pinches of sea salt and freshly ground pepper

The Deal:




1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Cut in half. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper.

3. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt and serve immediately.
This recipe is based on how one of my faves Barefoot Contessa cooks them. One of her few recipes that isn't covered in butter. SA-WEET!

No comments:

Post a Comment