Monday, March 14, 2011

Potato, Scallion, and Goat Cheese Frittata

Simple ingredients=delicious dish
Yep, I was up to it again! On Sundays all I want to do is cook. The things I need to do: run, homework, clean the house, are all much less appealing then spending the day bopping around the kitchen.

I had a bunch of random leftover vegetables from various dishes so as I woke up disoriented from the time change, I decided to whip up a frittata with all my leftover vegetables. I hate hate hate throwing away produce, and one way to avoid that is using it asap. I try to have a plan before I buy produce, but having some leftovers is almost unavoidable.

I was surprised that I enjoyed the broccoli frittata more, but perhaps I am just in a greener mood. The frittata below was good but not perfect. I used a touch of rosemary, but next time I may use a touch more. Basil or thyme would also make a nice addition. I thought some crushed red pepper might add some nice heat and it did. Perhaps next time Ill try cayenne and see if I notice a difference. Havarti cheese would have been great with these flavors, but I still had goat cheese on hand so that's what I used.

Remember frittatas can be eaten the next day. I refrigerate mine, then leave them out about an hour before I want to eat them. It is good room temperature or re-heated in the toaster oven. They are best served the day they are made, but I think they make a fine lunch option if you have leftovers. At least this one did, that could change depending on the ingredients.

Just another fine example of how versatile the frittata is. I encourage anyone reading this to attempt your own frittata, especially with vegetables that are at risk of a sad garbage can fate. Save your vegetables! Eat them! To view my previous frittata click here: Frittata with Broccoli and Zucchini

Potato, Scallion, and Goat Cheese Frittata



The Goods: Serves 4
Hashed brown potatoes(recipe below)
1 clove of garlic, minced or pressed
2 scallions, chopped green and white parts
1/3 cup goat cheese
6 large eggs
2 tablespoons half and half
1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon butter or earth balance
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
 a couple pinches of red pepper(optional, I was craving heat so add if you desire heat)

The Deal:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Whisk eggs and half and half until blended in a medium bowl. Then whisk in scallions, goat cheese, rosemary, potatoes(make sure they aren't hot), salt, pepper and red pepper if using.

3. Heat butter and garlic in a medium saute pan(that is oven safe up to 350 degrees) on medium heat for about one minute. Then add egg mixture and cook undisturbed for 8-10 minutes, until the bottom begins to firm.

4. Then place the pan in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is cooked. You'll want to check this about every 5 minutes, it is easy to overcook a frittata, which ruins the flavor. Once the top is cooked, remove from the oven and serve hot. This can also be served at room temperature.


Hashed brown potatoes
The Goods: 1 serving, enough for one Frittata
1-2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 cubes
2 shallots
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil

The Deal:
1. Place potatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes. While they are cooking heat the oil(or butter) in a medium saute pan with the garlic and shallots. Cook until fragrant about 1 minute. Drain and add potatoes and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to evenly brown all sides. Once browned serve warm. If using in a frittata, let them cool about 5 minutes before adding them into the egg mixture

No comments:

Post a Comment