Sunday, February 20, 2011

MARGARITAS!

Saturday Night just screams margaritas. Or a drink of some kind, I mean come on its SA. TUR. DAY. NIIIGGGHT!
I must give credit for this delicious drink to my cousin, Dan, who creates incredible cocktails, and this is pretty much the exact recipe he gave me.

First things first, frozen margaritas taste NOTHING like a real margarita. Making a margarita is simple, but fresh ingredients are KEY. Fresh lime juice instead of Roses bottled, homemade simple syrup instead of triple sec make a WORLD of difference. I have never liked salt on my margaritas so I didn't include it in the recipe. If you like salt, feel free to salt your rim, but know I never will!

I will say that its a strong drink, and the flavor is very intense. My boyfriend did not like the taste as much as I did, but I have always enjoyed margaritas, and he doesn't really. So make sure you like them before you squeeze those limes.


Fyi a typical shot glass is one ounce. Also after the recipe, I put how to make homemade sugar syrup, which is super easy and cheap.













Classic Margarita


The Goods: Makes 1 average martini glass serving

2 1/2 oz. Silver Tequila (Cuervo SILVER is what I used, but the better the tequila the better the cocktail)
1 1/2 oz. Fresh squeezed lime juice(it can be 2-6 limes depending on the size of the lime)
1-2 tablespoon Sugar(Simple) Syrup(or Agave Nectar) I used a bit more syrup, its up to you
4 dashes orange bitters


The Deal:
Put in a shaker with ice, strain them into the martini glass, and enjoy!

To make Sugar (or Simple) Syrup: This is something you can make and then keep in fridge for weeks.  To make one pint, dissolve 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water in a heavy pot over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally until it starts to simmer. Don't let it go long, else it will solidify like rock candy as it chills, or worse, if it continues to cook it will turn into caramel. Once simmering remove from heat, place in a jar and refrigerate until ready to use.

This is a picture of the sugar water about to boil. This is the recipe my cousin Dan sent me and it turned out great. Thanks again to my wonderful cousin!

No comments:

Post a Comment