Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Peach Bruschetta

Who could resist these adorable beauties?
Some of the more outstanding dishes are because something went wrong. Accidents in the kitchen can mean all sorts of things, from a dish being completely ruined to a dish being completely transformed.
Or in my case trying to avoid throwing out food can add a new dimension to an already loved dip.
Yum Yum YUM!
My parents came up for the day and I wanted to have a light refreshing snack waiting for them when they arrived. That morning I woke up early to get prime pickings at the farmers market and was wooed by some cherry tomatoes. As I've hinted (and bluntly stated) tomatoes are not my favorite, but I saw these cute multi-colored cherry tomatoes and just had to have them. For tomatoes, they are pretty freaking tasty. I was also riding a disappointment wave because there were no green tomatoes so my friend green tomato plan went out the window. I didn't think through cutting and seeding them, and how little tomato flesh I would actually have. This ended up being peachy heavy by accident, a lovely accident!

This recipe is not exact, as it was very thrown together with what I had. If you have fruit that is about to spoil, throw it in a bowl and see what comes out. This was intended to be a plain bruschetta, but thank goodness I added the peaches. It was an explosion of clean fresh summer flavors in my mouth and everyone who tried it agreed. For such a simple recipe, it was outrageously good.

Be careful about adding the balsamic, oil, and lemon juice. It's easy to let these elements over power the dish. A little bit goes a long way. Each of these elements are there to enhance the dish, and bring out the bright, clean flavors of the fruit. You do not want to taste any of these ingredients, so just add a splash. As with many fruit/vegi dishes each time you make it may be different so always taste as you go.

This is best fresh, and doesn't keep well. Again all the measurements are a guesstimate, so have fun experimenting!

Peach Bruschetta 

The Goods: Makes about 2 cups
2-3 medium peaches, peeled and diced
15 cherry tomatoes, seeded and diced
2-3 tablespoons basil leaves, chiffonade
Dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Dash of balsamic vinegar
Dash of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

The Deal: 
Place all ingredients in a bowl and combine. Add more balsamic, lemon juice, salt or pepper if needed. Serve immediately with crackers or toasted bread lightly brushed with olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment