Friday, June 3, 2011

Basic Bruschetta

Oh tomato, why must we fight? I love you in sauce, in bottles of ketchup and even ground up into paste, but on your own, I just don't get it.
Fresh Basil=happy mouths
Well I plan to end this battle once and for all. I WILL love you tomato, all on your own, even if I must eat you every day this summer! Do you hear me!?!?!

For some odd reason, I've never enjoyed just tomatoes. I rip them of sandwiches, or pick them off salads quickly and plop them on healthy boyfriend's plate if possible. Of course I remember when I dreaded broccoli, and now I crave it. I'm not sure I've ever had a local tomato, so this summer I plan on eating lots and lots of delicious tomatoes and becoming a fan of this red beautiful fruit. I mean its so adorable :)
I love Bruschetta, which is basically just tomato with herbs and olive oil. Only a few steps away from loving just tomatoes, muahahahaha!
I know. I want to eat this right now too :)
What you serve this tasty appetizer on makes a big difference, but Im sure many would eat it with any old crackers. Of course I try to pay attention to all the details of my dishes, but not everyone needs local fresh baked baguettes lightly toasted and rubbed with garlic and olive oil. Right?
Who am I kidding, if you serve triscuits with something as delicious as bruschetta you are LAZ. EEEEE. Get some good bread and toast it up. Besides having to turn on your oven to toast the bread, there is no cooking involved. For those of you starting to feel the summer heat, having dishes that don't leave you roasting in the kitchen are a definite plus. Its barely June and already I don't want to cook unless its before 10am or after 7pm. I sound like a sissy, but dripping over a hot stove so I can then eat a hot meal just aint for me. Someday I'll have air-conditioning

I found this recipe out of "America's Best Test Kitchen" aka my new best friend, but I tweaked it a bit. Classic bruschetta does not have balsamic or oregeno, though I think they add a depth to the flavor, and rounded out the whole dish. Be careful with the oregano and balsamic, a little bit goes a long way. You want these ingredients to enhance the flavor of the 'mater, not cover it up. So use with caution. As always use herbs you have, especially if you are lucky enough to have a garden. I dream of having a garden full of basil, some day....

Basic Bruschetta
a mouth full of deeeeelicious
The Goods: Serves 4 to 8
4 ripe medium tomatoes, cored and chopped medium
1/2 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegrette
Sea Salt and Fresh ground pepper
1 loaf crusty Italian or French Bread, sliced one inch thick
1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced in half
4 tablespoons extra olive oil

The Deal: 
1. Place tomatoes, basil, oregano, 1 tablespoon of olive oil a few dashes of balsamic vinaigrette in a medium bowl. Lightly stir, just enough to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.

2. Broil your bread slices until lightly toasted 3-5 minutes, then remove from the oven and rub the sliced garlic clove on each bread slice. Then lightly brush each slice with olive oil. Scoop a heaping spoonful of bruschetta on each bread slice and serve warm.

If you are not going to serve right away, just toast your bread and let people dip as needed. Warm bread is best, but do what you must. Just make sure you share, I could have eaten the whole bowl myself. But I didn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment