Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pita Sandwich with Spinach, Hummus, Carrots, and Sprouts

Finding a fun healthy lunch every week is a real struggle for me. Not only does it need to transport easy, but it needs to have simple assembly, be nutrutious, and most importantly I need to WANT to eat it.

Salads are great, but I get bored with them easily. Though my love for salads has grown over the years, they are just not what I crave. Healthy boyfriend on the other hand makes the best salads on the planet. He has little patience in the kitchen and often does not care too much about presentation, but all that changes when he is making a salad. Watching him dart around the kitchen, looking for nuts, berries, seeds, anything and everything he can put on his salad to make it healthy, is a sight to see. He arranges them as if he is serving it to a guest, playing with color and design, always making sure the salad looks fit for a king. Its painfully adorable. Oh how I wish I had this trait!
I on the other hand will slave away cooking cookies or casseroles for hours, but when it comes to salad I cannot muster any patience. I use to call salads rabbit food, which in my head I think it still is. Salad is what I have to eat, so I can eat what I REALLY want, pizza, bagels, or simply bread and cheese.
Reflecting on this, I got the idea to put my salad in a pita pocket. Not a food revolution by any means, but I was excited by the idea of it. I literally said, "AHA!" outloud, it was a nice moment.  I was delighted to see that a pack of whole wheat pita bread was only $1.50! Also the ingredient list was shorter than most whole wheat breads, which means less chemicals and junk in my body. Im telling yall, pita bread is my new favorite bread. I use half of one whole pita, which only adds about 75 calories to my meal, but also adds fiber, and good carbs to keeps me fuller longer.

What I did is prepare enough ingredients for a large salad, and put about half the salad in the pita pocket and then eat the other half of the salad as a side dish. I plan to try several variations on this idea, so the vegetables below are a guide, but as I often say, use what you like and know you will eat. Of course be careful not to get stuck eating the same 5 vegetables every week. When you find a vegetable you love, high fives all around, but never forget variation is the spice of life, and nutritionally speaking variation is essential to whole body health.

These ingredients went marviously together, and I really enjoyed having the tangy flavor of the goddess dressing with the earthy flavor of the hummus. Im on a goddess dressing kick, but any healthy, preferably organic, dressing will do.

Hope yall enjoy my Pita sandwich/salad!

Pita Sandwich with Spinach, Hummus, Carrots, and Sprouts
a bit messy, but it makes up for it in flavor!
The Goods: Serves two
1 whole wheat pita pocket, cut in half
1 scallion, thinly sliced
5 cups of baby spinach
1 large carrot, shaved and thinly sliced
1 cup of sprouts(broccoli, alfalfa, etc)
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, raw
2 tablespoons hummus, plain or garlic
1/2-1 tablespoon Annies Goddess Dressing


The Deal: 
1. Place sprouts, scallions, carrots, sunflower seeds and spinach in a large bowl and toss with Goddess Dressing, making sure dressing is evenly distributed.

2. With a knife spread 1 tablespoon of hummus in each pita pocket, spreading evenly.

3. Fill each pita pocket with half of the spinach mixture, and place any additonal spinach salad on the side to enjoy as a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment